A 22-year-old was fatally struck by an SUV driver in Manhattan after falling from his Revel scooter on Sunday, police said.
Andreas Marino, an Upper East Side resident, was riding north in the 1st Avenue Tunnel in Midtown when he “lost control and was ejected” from the electric scooter, according to a preliminary NYPD investigation. A passing driver then ran over Marino as he lay in the roadway.
The driver was taken into custody, though police could not immediately provide the person’s name or what charges they faced. The Daily News reports that the driver was believed to have been intoxicated.
The death comes a little over a year after the death of two Revel riders in as many weeks forced the electric scooter sharing company to temporarily suspend service.
When its return last August, the start-up agreed to new safety features, including helmet mandates and a ban on riding between midnight and 5 a.m.
But the company, which rents roughly 3,000 of the moped-like scooters across the city, has remained the target of city regulators.
After announcing access to the Manhattan and Queensboro bridges for riders with 25 miles of experience earlier this summer, Revel was forced to reverse that policy earlier this month.
In a statement, a spokesperson for the Department of Transportation told amNewYork the city had asked Revel to shut off bridge access out of concerns about the “risk for crashes with faster moving cars.”
Traffic fatalities have increased significantly this year, and are on pace to reach their highest level since Mayor Bill de Blasio took office.
In its annual management report released last week, the administration blamed “lockdown and less pedestrian activity [last year], coupled with less traffic and increased speeding [this year]” for the increase in deaths.
A spokesperson for Revel said the company was still gathering info about the latest fatality.